The Finnish Genetics of Pre-eclampsia Consortium (FINNPEC) is a cross-sectional case-control multicentre study to investigate and search genetic markers predisposing to pre-eclampsia, with particular focus on detailed clinical characterisation of pre-eclampsia phenotypes.
- The prospective arm: pre-eclamptic women were identified on admission at all University Hospitals in Finland. After recruitment of a pre-eclamptic woman, the next woman with an uncomplicated pregnancy attending the same clinic was recruited as a control subject. The baby and the spouse of each participant (=father of the child) were also enrolled for the study.
- 2. The retrospective arm: women who have been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia or IUGR/placental insufficiency during their pregnancies were recruited retrospectively, based on medical records of the hospitals.
- To establish a nationwide DNA and clinical database on pre-eclamptic and control women, including their partners and babies. This database will be used for genetic studies and for confirmatory assessments of candidate loci arising from these and other ongoing studies, putatively associated with pre-eclampsia, other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy or fetal growth.
- To delineate endophenotypes (clinically defined, pathophysiologically meaningful subgroups) of pre-eclampsia. Endophenotypes are essential tools in genetic studies and may ultimately aid in identifying individuals who would benefit most from interventions.
- To study the consequences of pre-eclampsia for the later health of the mother, newborn child and father.
Publications of FINNPEC study
Reichhardt MP, Jarva H, Lokki AI, Laivuori H; FINNPEC study group, Vuorela P,
Loimaranta V, Glasner A, Siwetz M, Huppertz B, Meri S. The Salivary Scavenger and
Agglutinin (SALSA) in Healthy and Complicated Pregnancy. PLoS One. 2016 Feb
1;11(2):e0147867. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0147867. eCollection 2016. PubMed
PMID: 26828433; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4734712.
Kaartokallio T, Cervera A, Kyllönen A, Laivuori K; FINNPEC Core Investigator
Group. Gene expression profiling of pre-eclamptic placentae by RNA sequencing.
Sci Rep. 2015 Sep 21;5:14107. doi: 10.1038/srep14107. PubMed PMID: 26388242;
PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4585671.
Lokki AI, Aalto-Viljakainen T, Meri S, Laivuori H; FINNPEC. Genetic analysis
of membrane cofactor protein (CD46) of the complement system in women with and
without preeclamptic pregnancies. PLoS One. 2015 Feb 24;10(2):e0117840. doi:
10.1371/journal.pone.0117840. eCollection 2015. Erratum in: PLoS One.
2015;10(4):e0125449. PubMed PMID: 25710174; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4339547.
Kaartokallio T, Klemetti MM, Timonen A, Uotila J, Heinonen S, Kajantie E, Kere
J, Kivinen K, Pouta A, Lakkisto P, Laivuori H. Microsatellite polymorphism in the
heme oxygenase-1 promoter is associated with nonsevere and late-onset
preeclampsia. Hypertension. 2014 Jul;64(1):172-7. doi:
10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.03337. Epub 2014 May 5. PubMed PMID: 24799610.
Lokki AI, Heikkinen-Eloranta J, Jarva H, Saisto T, Lokki ML, Laivuori H, Meri
S. Complement activation and regulation in preeclamptic placenta. Front Immunol.
2014 Jul 9;5:312. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2014.00312. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID:25071773; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4088925.
Johnson MP, Brennecke SP, East CE, Dyer TD, Roten LT, Proffitt JM, Melton PE, Fenstad MH, Aalto-Viljakainen T, Mäkikallio K, Heinonen S, Kajantie E, Kere J,
Laivuori H; FINNPEC Study Group, Austgulen R, Blangero J, Moses EK. Genetic
dissection of the pre-eclampsia susceptibility locus on chromosome 2q22 reveals
shared novel risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Mol Hum Reprod. 2013
Jul;19(7):423-37. doi: 10.1093/molehr/gat011. Epub 2013 Feb 18. PubMed PMID:
23420841; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3690803.
Johnson MP, Brennecke SP, East CE, Göring HH, Kent JW Jr, Dyer TD, Said JM, Roten LT, Iversen AC, Abraham LJ, Heinonen S, Kajantie E, Kere J, Kivinen K, Pouta A, Laivuori H; FINNPEC Study Group, Austgulen R, Blangero J, Moses EK. Genome-wide association scan identifies a risk locus for preeclampsia on 2q14, near the inhibin, beta B gene. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e33666. Epub 2012 Mar 14.
8.Herse F, LaMarca B, Hubel CA, Kaartokallio T, Lokki IA, Ekholm E, Laivuori H, Gauster M, Huppertz B, Sugulle M, Ryan MJ, Richards-Novotny S, Brewer J, Park JK, Kacik M, Hoyer J, Verlohren S, Wallukat G, Rothe M, Luft FC, Muller DN, Schunck WH, Staff AC, Dechend R. CYP2J2 Expression and Circulating Epoxyeicosatrienoic Metabolites in Preeclampsia. Circulation. 2012;126:2990-2999.